Cyber Signals October-November 2015
FATHER CREATOR’S WORD
” All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3: 16, 17
WARRIORS FOR CHRIST DISCIPLESHIP
“THE MASTER PLAN”
Discipleship- His chosen method
© 2015 – Warriors for Christ
“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matt. 28: 18-20
A. What is discipleship?
“Disciple”- one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another.
“Discipleship” – is a method where the follower (the disciple) is taught both doctrine and lifestyle. Jesus chose to use this method to reach all the nations in the world. Jesus took the time to invest His life into 12 people; from fishermen, a doctor, to a tax collector. Even though He spent time with the multitudes, He spent most of His life teaching and training His own disciples and being an example to them – mentoring. He then sent his disciples out 2 by 2 to nearby towns so they, in turn, could share the Good News of the Gospel. Later, He sent out 72 disciples to do the same thing. When they came back he checked how they did.
“After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.” Luke 10:1-3
“The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”… I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you…” Luke 10:17-20
“Discipleship” is more than a Bible study. It is when you share your life with others. Discipleship is when you make the time for coffee or eating a meal together, or going to a basketball game with your disciple. It is about relationship; your relationship with the Lord, your relationship with your disciple, and in the future, your disciple’s relationship with a new believer.
B. Paul, the discipler
The Apostle Paul shared his knowledge of the Word and shared his life with his disciple, Timothy. In 1 and 2 Timothy, Paul gives instruction to Timothy how to minister to the church he is working with. He also gives Timothy personal encouragement.
Here are some examples of discipleship training from Paul, the discipler, to his young disciple, Timothy:
“Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”- 1 Timothy 4:7-8
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching… Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.” – 1 Timothy 4:12-15
“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” – 2 Timothy 2:15
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
“Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage– with great patience and careful instruction.”- 2 Timothy 4:2
Paul was able to say at life’s end:
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day– and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7-8
C. The Need for discipleship
The Native community is struggling with generational hurts of hopelessness, anger, fear, lack of identity, and passivity; resulting in alcoholism, drug abuse, incarceration, and suicide. For the Native church to have a positive impact on their community, strong Native Christian leadership needs to be developed through discipleship training.
Have events such as tent revivals, camp meetings, and conferences resulted in an increase of Native Christian leadership or even membership within the local church? As one Native Pastor concluded, “events don’t build the church.”
The visiting evangelist may open the door to the Gospel, but how many local churches have been able to effectively follow up? If there is new birth, but no follow up, it is like putting a newborn baby on the hillside and saying, “feed yourself.” Many Native pastors have told us that the greatest need for the Native American church today is discipleship.
Your church, using Warriors for Christ’s discipleship course, Walking the New Path, will see the following results:
• Discipled, Christian Native leadership, resulting in a lifestyle exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit
• A spiritually strong Native church that can effectively impact the Native community
• Those discipled can, in turn, disciple others (transferable/multiplication). They will be motivated to share Christ with family, friends, clan, and Nation.
D. Fulfilling the “Great Commission”
Warriors for Christ is here to help you and your church. Warriors for Christ is ready to train to your church leadership on how to use Walking the New Path discipleship course. We will take each lesson, like taking a tool out of a toolbox and show how to use it effectively. We are also available to train your church and leadership on motivational gifts (Romans 12), how to do effective follow up, and other topics.
Please contact Warriors for Christ so we can answer your questions and schedule a time for discipleship training with your church. Discipleship training is also available at our headquarters, located on the Olympic Peninsula, in Washington State. Please call 360-379-4668 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time.
WARRIORS FOR CHRIST NEWS
• Warriors for Christ needs your help to minister Christ’s love in many special ways. We have opportunities to serve through: corresponding with Native prisoners, joining the Prayer Circle, or doing illustrations for Walking the New Path discipleship course. Get involved and use the gifts God has given you!
• Warriors for Christ published a new edition of Walking the New Path, adding new pictures, graphics, and illustrations. Further additions will have additional illustrations for the 13 lessons. We are available to come to your church for discipleship training for those interested in bringing Christ’s truth to your reservation or urban area. Please call 360-379-4668 for further information.
• Start planning a trip to help Warriors for Christ by organizing a mission trip, with your men’s group, youth group, or maybe a group of friends coming together to help . It could be next spring or summer, or if you want to do a last minute fall/winter work party, we have plenty of projects your group can work on indoors.
• You and your church leadership are invited to come to the Warriors for Christ headquarters for a week-end or week of discipleship training. For further information or to make a reservation, call 360-379-4668.
LIGHT FOR THE PATH
“Who am I?”
Traditionally, the grandparents take the responsibility to raise the children of the Nation, so they know their inheritance. They were taught customs and traditions of the tribe. Reservation life, boarding schools and alcohol have all contributed to the breakdown of this family and the tribal order. Thus, many Natives today are asking, “Who am I?”
Yet, there is an answer for the Christian. Father Creator answers the question “Who am I?”
“For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will–
to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.” – Ephesians 1:4-6
When we are united with Christ through faith in Him, we are given a new inheritance. We are given: wisdom, hope, “great power,” authority of Jesus Christ, there is a new union of heaven and earth. So now we have a new spiritual nature. We now can claim the new inheritance He has given each one of His sons and daughters!
NATIVE PRAYER REQUESTS
PLEASE KEEP PRAYING FOR THE FAMILIES AND TRIBE-
• “A Native village on Alaska’s western coast is reeling from back-to-back suicides of three young adults — with each subsequent death influenced by the preceding one.”
• ” I’m having trouble with my back and I’m having terrible dizzy spells where I almost pass out. Please pray for my healing of my body.” – Anonymous
• ” I am asking for prayer Maria and family. Her brother was found dead today at the age of 22. Please pray for healing and Gods leading in this. Words just can’t say. Please pray. Thank you and God bless.” – Jason
• ” urgent financial miracle needed. Because of an injury that took me out of good paying job then having to go on old age security, I do not have enough money coming in to pay the bills. I have gotten so far behind that now I am facing eviction, losing my car. I cancelled some life insurances etc. to help but I am so overwhelmed and have been praying so hard, and I truly believe that nothing is too hard for the Lord, but this has been going on for months now. Lord, Please I ask for a breakthrough, for extra money to come in..in Jesus’s name Amen!.” – Anonymous
• “On Mar. 17, 2015 the civil court has granted Divorce as per my wife’s request. I have got a stay on the order from High court on Sept. 9, I request for your crucial intercession prayers, so as to have re-union with my wife and 3 young children. Jesus, cover us in your most precious blood.” – Ouseph K.
WARRIORS FOR CHRIST PRAYER NEEDS
• Pray that as the ministry of Warriors for Christ expands, the Lord will also bring needed funding. Pray for additional staff to come alongside Warriors for Christ. We need volunteers for website, Facebook, office support, headquarters, illustrations, and accounting.
• Pray for increased funding for completion of the discipleship center, printing of materials, distribution of materials, and discipleship training at the headquarters, urban areas, and on reservations.
• As opportunities for discipleship open up; to train church members how to use Walking the New Path for follow up after camp meetings and tent revivals, we will need a place to stay. Unlike evangelists who come into town for short periods, discipleship training takes time. (See Paul’s discipleship in Acts). We need to be able to stay for a week or 2 to train Native leaders. Solution = a trailer with a truck or SUV. In addition, we are starting a travel fund to provide for food, fuel, etc.
• Pray for the protection of Warriors for Christ staff and supporters.
OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE
Regional Directors and Executive Leadership positions, Work parties, Mission Trips, Illustrations, Student Internships, Prayer Circle,
Warrior Council, Headquarters maintenance, and many more.
Please contact us to discuss how you can be involved in ministry through Warriors for Christ.
Share this newsletter with your church, Pastor, and invite your friends to join the Warriors for Christ Facebook.